Many tend to think that real estate comes to a grinding halt after Halloween. While it is true that some sellers take their homes off of the market for the holidays, it is actually one of the best times of the year for buyers. Here’s why:
- Sellers Are Serious – Think about it, who really wants strangers to come trampling through their home during the holidays? Serious sellers, people who have to sell. They can’t afford to play the seasonal market, or they need to move their home to get to the next phase of their lives. What does this mean for you? It means that all decent offers are seriously considered.
- Less Competition from Other Buyers – If you haven’t noticed, inventory levels are getting really low in the Midlands of SC. When inventory gets low, and the demand for homes is rising, the best houses are fought over through multiple offers. If you buy during the “slow” time, there are less buyers looking and you can land the home you want, without another buyer forcing multiple offers.
- Tax Returns – If you are one of the fortune people who overpay their taxes all year to get a nice check come first of the year, then spend that money wisely and put it towards a new home. Often times the seller will pay your closing costs, and depending on where in the Midlands you are looking, you may be able to find a home for little to no money down.
- Great Deals on New Construction – Builders are business people. Most businesses end their calendar year on Dec. 31st. And what do businesses like to have off of their books by the end of the year? Inventory! We have seen builders make deals, take lower offers, or throw in extras as long as you are willing to buy their home before the end of the year.
- Want To Build Your Custom Home? – Most build jobs take 4-6 months to complete, and most people aren’t thinking of June in December. Now is the time to get the house plans in order so you can move mid-year. Couple that with an empty lot and you can take advantage a great deal with a builder that fits your timeline.
- Down Payment Assistance – There are a bunch of great programs out there that will help you with your down payment. Whether you are a Veteran, Police Officer, Firefighter, First Responder, Active Military or looking in certain areas, there are a number of down payment assistance plans available. What you may not know is that most of these programs are funded Jan. 1st and are available until they run out of money somewhere in the early Fall. So, beginning your home buying process just after the 1st of the year ensures there is money ready if you can take advantage of it.
- Vendors aren’t As Busy – When we are in the thick of the Summer, everyone is busy: Lenders, Attorneys, Inspectors, Surveyors etc. When you close in the Winter, everyone tends to have a little more time to focus on you, ensuring that you are getting the best possible experience.